Saturday 3 October 2009

Grey Day at Watson's Bay - Part II

If you're looking for anything majorly exciting here, you may as well go back to doing some office work, housework or watching TV, whatever it is you do when you're not reading my blog, because you won't find any.

Mind, I'm not complaining. I enjoyed walking around looking at things and it did give me more of a sense of the history of this area. I took lots of photos of course (1,600 for the entire trip, since you asked) and so can show you much of what there is to see.

I could do a whole post on the flora and fauna of Australia, it is so different to what I'm used to, and I might do yet. For now, let me say that they have amazing trees over there. Enormous, twisted things, some with low branches extending parallel to earth for so long as to make one contemplate the depth of the roots required


to stabilise their improbable stretch. Others with multiple roots like an arboreal octopus or several trees all hugging each other.


Some very spindly in comparison but seeming to curl their way skyward so that you look up to find out why.



The colours there are striking as well. Chris pointed out the bottle brush tree (also available in golden yellow).


When he saw me photographing what looked like red confetti on the pavement, he said they were fallen from an Illawarra flame tree (but having looked up the Illawarra part just now, I'm not sure if that was what he was talking about -- right colour, wrong shape. Maybe it's just curled up or something).


This lavender wisteria hangs just about everywhere and you smell it walking down the street.


Also, the trees are often a greyish green colour -- or just grey -- rather than the brown barks I'm accustomed to.


I have tons of pictures of trees and plants, not to mention birds and critters, and I haven't even started talking about the architecture yet, have I?

No comments: