One of the most intriguing projects we've done at the craft group is to work with Procion dyes. Our first assignment was to gather natural fibres and stitch them together. Many of the ladies just used strips and made fancy stitches between the them. I say 'just'; some of the outcomes were spectacular. I don't have photos, but just imagine really vibrant layers of colour, shading from green for the ground into a multi-coloured flaming-sunset sky.
One lady made a lovely lacy piece which she added to her current art project, a winding 'road' as part of a fairly-land scene. Silly of me not to have taken photos...
I can however show you mine and Lucy's. This is Lucy's:
She put her collection of laces and fabrics into rows and squares that made me think of an allotment garden (where one grows fruit & veg), but of course you can see it is a lovely flower garden! She spent a lot more time than I did doing interesting embroidery on it, before and after the dyeing.
This is how her dye-job came out:
|Please pardon some of my blurry photos - |
I'm still learning how to use my Samsung camera.
This is my 'natural' colours project as it began. I quite liked mine in its natural state before we did the dyeing.
Part of the £3 fee we pay each week goes to rent for the room, but a large part is to buy craft supplies and bring in the occasional instructor.
People often have large stashes of useful material which they bring in a share.
I had no idea what to do with this square bit of linen when it was done and I prefer to have useful outcomes rather than another thing I don't know what to do with.
Others crafted theirs into pictures, a wide belt, book covers and zippered bags.
Initially I backed the napkin with the stiff canvas you use to make latch-hook rugs (or proddy mats as they do here in the NorthEast of England).
That may or may not have worked otherwise, but once it all got wet with the dyes and it all went through the laundry, it went completely shapeless. Bill came to the rescue, cutting me a piece of board to fit and I stitched my linen napkin with pockets (which limited what else I could do with it) and pieces of lace and you can see what it is used for. This is maybe 1% of my jewellery stash, thanks to my Aunt Rita.
I didn't have a plan and in hindsight I might have used fewer pockets, put it on the board later and done more fancy embroidery post-dye. I did do a little bit of very rough gold thread stitching here and there but figured the 'bling' would be from the jewellery itself.
I got a lot of compliments on this from the crafting ladies...then again, it's one of the few projects I've actually finished. I definitely would do another project along these lines!