Tuesday 5 October 2010

Cullen Skink

We stopped for lunch at Deacon Brodie's Tavern in Edinburgh.  Simon and Sarah joined us.  Bill likes to tease me about disgusting food sometimes and he kept telling everyone I was going to have the Cullen Skink.  He commented that Cousin Frank had ordered this when we all met for dinner -- seems very long ago now.  Just out of spite, when the waitress took our orders, I did go for the Cullen Skink, even though the name made me think of smelly skunk.  It was amazingly good -- 'poor folks' food' often is.

Bill was rather envious, actually.  I did find it a bit rich, made with cream and all.  I let him finish the last little bit, so he got to have an adventure as well.

Should you decide to make it, here is a recipe.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Pauline Wiles said...

Do Baxters still make Cullen Skink in a tin? I used to love that, for a treat, although I know what you mean about it being a bit creamy. With a piece of toast, it really was a complete dinner. Yum! Perfect for this time of year.

Shelley said...

Gosh, I've never looked for that in the supermarket before. I think I shall have to do that and surprise Bill sometime. He's always saying he prefers his soup to be 'hearty' (I think that means 'thick').