Sunday 9 February 2014

No Snow Here (Yet)

We took the motor home up to the storage place we use. I wanted to experience a ride in it (much more comfy that the old one!) and Bill wanted to get a bit of exercise. 






The storage area is about a mile from Shiremoor Metro, down a public footpath through a farm, so I walked part way with Bill until he went off on his own route. We passed the lovely little village of Earsdon and I couldn't resist snapping a couple of photos.








Later I noticed this signpost. I love these old painted cast iron signs. I'm fairly sure they are Victorian. They remind me a lot of enameled cookware that Grandma and Grandpa used to have. I like the way they take note of fractions of miles, unlike modern road signs, something that would matter to a person if they were on foot. Also, I wondered if in fact Shiremoor used to be Shire Moor.  




It was good to get some fresh air, but I also enjoyed hopping on the Metro and getting a quick lift back home. We're lucky that the motor home storage is so convenient, though we normally trade the car for the van while we're away.

Yes, we live not far from New York!

4 comments:

sanda said...

I love those street markers! They must date back many years. I so admire the fact that some countries don't go destroying things just because they're old and replacing with a modern version......like we do here in the U.S.

Beryl said...

Beautiful countryside and great old street signs. Looks like a nice day.

Shelley said...

Sanda - Apparently there was plenty of destruction and rebuilding in the 60s and 70s when everyone seemed to want 'modern'. Hideous flat roofed construction that blights the landscape now. There are disadvantages to older buildings, it's very expensive to renew electrics and plumbing etc., cheaper to build new. Then again, no one can afford to build the kind of character and detail that Georgian or even Victorian buildings have. The positive side of that is that skilled wages are more reasonable than they once were.

Shelley said...

Beryl - As I recall it was reasonably pleasant that day. The wind is the determining factor here. It rains a lot anyhow but, believe me, horizontal rain is far more unpleasant! And fierce wind here can make the sunniest of days the one you want to stay in. Looks are definitely deceiving here!