Wednesday 19 February 2014

Glass Knobs

Another aspect of 'using what I have' is to finally use what I bought years ago, as in these glass knobs in the kitchen. Several of the door pulls around the kitchen had snapped off with use. We went to B&Q - in about 2008? - and bought replacements, which I promptly misplaced.

Bill, polishing his walking boots.



Then I found them again and put them in a drawer where I would run into them about once a month...and think 'I'll do that later'.  For me, being on a frugal kick spurs me to try things I've meant to do for ages and so I finally 'got around' to doing this project.  It involved unscrewing  and pulling off the broken and some of the still functional fixtures with a screwdriver and a knife, re-arranging them so that all the glass balls would go on the dresser, and then screwing the glass fixtures to the dresser.  It took me all of about 40 minutes.  




On the odd occasion when the sun catches these glass balls and makes them sparkle, it really lifts my spirit!  Can't believe it took me so long, but I'm really glad I did this.  Little things make a huge difference to me, particularly in winter.


6 comments:

Gam Kau said...

Those glass knobs are beautiful, where did you find them? You have such a warm and lovely kitchen. I love getting things done that I've been putting off - makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere!

Shelley said...

Gam Kau - B&Q is a DIY chain here, sort of like Home Base and the like in the US. I don't think they are particularly uncommon. They remind me a bit of the glass door knobs that were in my Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Gam Kau said...

I know B & Q, I'll have to poke around and see what they have. I've always wanted glass knobs on our interior doors. Usually I'm not fussy about decorating, but there is something so pretty about glass knobs and catching the sun. Maybe it would just be easier to get some of those hanging decorative crystals to hang in the window!

Shelley said...

GK - If you want doorknobs, can I suggest checking at any architectural salvage places? The one near me has loads of glass door knobs. I just like the ones we already have (brass and hard wood). Still, future doors (like on our downstairs loo) might end up being glass... Just thought of it!

Beryl said...

That looks wonderful. Amazing how simply replacing the knobs can make so much difference. That's a really pretty kitchen and looks good to work in.
(How did I miss this post? I hate to miss my "living vicariously in England" fix!)

Shelley said...

Beryl - Thank you, I love how the kitchen looks. I only wish it were warmer; we're looking into adding a second radiator. There are three posts about the transformation of the kitchen ("Kitchen English I, II & III), but the photos are all pretty much the same.