Friday 30 April 2010

Finished Project

I seem to prefer big projects for some reason, I'm guessing because I get more satisfaction when they are done. One such project that I've been working on for ages is knitting a bathmat from old towels. Insane, I know. I just needed a bathmat and I had too many towels, many that were past their best. Some came from my parents and grandparents' houses and so were decades old. A normal person would give them to a dog pound or into the textile recycling bin. However, some time ago I decided normal was boring and that 'rich, eccentric, old woman' sounded a lot more fun. Some parts of that goal are proceeding better than others, of course.

In any case, I thought I'd show you the finished product. I got the general idea from a craft book, only they used cotton shirts which probably would have been easier to work with. The squares are about 10 stitches by 10 rows and the finished mat is not quite 20 x 30 inches. It has a soft waffle-like texture underfoot which is pleasant. It's not perfect, but most of the stuff I make isn't, and I enjoyed making it.



5 comments:

TKW said...

Okay, you have to quit being so darn resourceful and creative! You're making me look bad!

Anonymous said...

I like it! Using old towels to make a bathmat is such a great idea. I've used my husband's old t-shirts to make a quilt for the sofa; it hasn't fallen apart yet. =)

jo said...

It looks great. An idea for finishing it off, would be to crochet around the outside to make it looked more finshed. It would square it up. Also it would probably have been easier to crochet the project with the thickness of your "thread". If you haven't tried crochetting, that should be your next project.

Just found flip flops to make the fuzzy flip flops your newly found family made for you when you were in the US. Will let you know how they turn out.

Shelley said...

Joanne - Crocheting around the edge was the original plan. I think I wimped out and decided to rest my hands a bit first. Will show you if I actually manage to go back and add that. I shall look forward to hearing about your flip flops. For others to know what we're on about:

http://shelleyshouse.blogspot.com/2009/08/crafting-at-normas.html

Jersey Mom - A t-shirt quilt sounds brilliant. Is he a runner by any chance? We have a squillion race tees we never wear anymore, but can't seem to ditch -- we worked so hard to get them!

TKW - OK, I'll trade ya' - your hilarious writing ability for my nearly square bathmat made of rags... Ha.

Pauline Wiles said...

This looks like such a dedicated project? Nice way to re-use old towels. Did it take you ages and ages?