Sunday 13 September 2009

Grandma's Birthday

We had lots of family birthdays in September, didn't we! Today is Grandma's birthday.


I can't tell you her favourite food because when I visited she always made my favourite at that time, beef stew with carrots and potatoes. She made it in the pressure cooker, even though that contraption seemed to make her very nervous. Grandma also made fruit cakes at Christmas time which were brilliant door stops, they were so hard and dry. I've no idea what they were supposed to taste like but I always managed to avoid them, saying they were too sweet for me.

So, in memory of Grandma, my task will be to produce beef stew in the pressure cooker we never use. Also, to learn to make edible fruit cake -- or enjoy inflicting door stops on everyone in December....I'll have to think about which sounds like more fun!


P.S. This is also Colleen's birthday -- Happy Birthday, Colleen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are going to make fruit cake, think about it before December, because it is a "process". My Dad's sisters used to make it.
Jo