Thursday 13 March 2008

Couture Sewing

Spent this morning working on an item from Bill's wishlist for his birthday: having his jeans mended. I can't remember the last time I did this sort of thing.


I fiddled with the machine and gave up, pinned and un-pinned the patches, took off my glasses so I could really see, started over to align the grain in the patch with that in the jeans. I began to wonder why Bill didn't just ask for a new pair. As I stitched, I thought it's probably because (a) he wanted to have an item on his wishlist that didn't cost anything; (b) he likes his broken in jeans and wants to keep them; (c) he's good about going along with my frugal agenda.

Anyhow, I finally got the first pair done without shedding too much blood. I was fairly pleased with the inside, which is useless, but of course the outside still looks patched and I don't have the skills to make it otherwise. All the same, I liked it well enough to photograph and post.


How sad is that?


No comments: