Wednesday 6 May 2020

How to Get 81 Squash Plants


I started my first batch of seedlings back in February, working my way through all my ancient seed packets which said 'sow indoors February' plus some flower seeds that were Christmas gifts, to grow edible flowers. Some herbs came up nicely, as did chrysanthemums (which I don't remember if they're edible or not, so don't risk it without some research). There were rows of oldish seeds that didn't produce and one day when I was clearing out the fridge, I found a box of squash seeds. 

I'd put the seeds in the fridge after eating the squash thinking I would roast them, but they had gone a bit slimy, so I thought not. On a whim I stuffed the seeds into the vacant rows on the windowsill and put sticky labels over the previous names (stuck on sticks cut from a plastic milk carton or a plastic file folder). I think it was an acorn squash but for some reason I had 'butternut' on the brain and that's what I wrote on the new labels.










I had moved most of the seedlings of flowers or herbs to other pots and nearly ditched the squash plants quietly growing under the soil but being a procrastinator they were saved. All the sudden I had row after row of little plants. When I pulled one out to re-pot it, two more appeared!  I spent an afternoon moving these things to new pots and finding sunny places to put them. 







The next day I asked Bill to move the rickety old book case in the back porch (full of pots, gardening gloves and his muddy shoes from walking and cross-country) to the potting table under the south facing window in the garage. When that was done I continued re-potting and then he found the old plastic stacking bookcase from the 1980s and put parts of it in the west facing bay window and the front porch. 








I kept wondering where to put these in soil in our garden without sacrificing our chance of growing anything but squash; Bill thinks we have room for maybe 10-12. I keep telling myself he lacks imagination. Also asking myself why on earth I rescued every single one of those plants? 



Add caption

I've decided it was because initially they have two leaves sticking up from the soil and those two leaves made me think of baby birds begging to be fed. Sometimes the shell of the seed would stick to one of the leaves for a while and that reminded me of the old cartoons of newly hatched birds with an egg-shell 'hat'. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. So we have more plants than we can possibly use. How many actual squashes they produce is of course yet to be seen, but any squashes they do will be eaten with pleasure - and the seeds definitely roasted!

Anyone want a squash plant?



No comments: