Friday 8 May 2020

Cole Slaw


These posts are in no particular order. Rightfully this should come a bit closer to the Hillheads fruit and veg delivery. Admittedly I did leave the cabbage til near the end of the veggies to use. I used half to steam and serve with corned beef hash (half a tin of corned beef, fried onions and boiled potatoes all mixed together). Bill thought it an odd combination - not the hash but the cabbage with it - but to an American 'corned beef and cabbage' rolls off the tongue like 'peanut butter and jelly' or 'biscuits and gravy', but those too are American. Perhaps I should say like 'bangers and mash' or 'beans and toast'. Never mind, this is about cole slaw.


Which I think I may have made once before in my lifetime, though I think Mom made it a quite a bit most summers to eat with our weekend barbeques in the back garden, with Grandma and Grandpa and our next door neighbour over the fence, Chris and her Yorkshire Terrier, Laurie. Since including Laurie I suppose I should mention Debbie, Cookie or Duchess, whichever of our dogs we had at the time.


Add caption


Anyhow, Bill found a recipe for me, perhaps from his mother's cookbook, I don't know. Translated it says 6 grated carrots, 1 small cabbage shredded, a pinch of caster sugar, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon mustard, 200 g mayonnaise. Mix the carrots and cabbage, season with salt. Add sugar and vinegar and toss, let sit for 20 minutes then add mustard and mayonnaise. I halved this recipe and used regular sugar.




I found the result a bit dry and added more mayo until I liked the consistency better. I expected Bill would be eating more of this than I would, him being able to afford so many more calories.




Gosh that bowl looks close to falling off the counter!



Still, I enjoyed the little I had. And we used up some more of our zillion carrots. Not to mention the cabbage we wouldn't normally buy.

No comments: