Thursday 6 January 2011

Grumpy New Year's Eve

We had big social plans for doing the rounds of the neighbourhood on New Years Eve, but on the day I actually couldn't be bothered.  So we went to plan B which was to continue watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny.  I can't believe I've admitted to this, as it definitely qualifies us as Sad Old People.  So be it.  I'm so sad I actually enjoyed some of the acts which included Wanda Jackson, a 73 year old that I later learned was from Oklahoma City, (though born in Maud, OK) and is crowned the Queen of Rockabilly.  Her act wasn't one of my very favourites, but Bill said she definitely still 'had it'.  I may need to listen to some of her earlier music in order to decide what 'it' is.


Before that we watched something about Grumpy Old People whinging about New Year's Eve.  It was pretty boring listening to people complain about all the strangers they 'snogged' (a rather ugly word for kissing) or had drunken sex with in the toilets or had throw up on them.  British TV at its finest there. 


The best show we watched was about 100 Years of History of the London Palladium.  I really enjoyed snatches of Danny Kaye's act and Graham Norton (whom I normally cannot tolerate) teasing Charles and Camilla in the Royal Box following the Pussycat Doll's singing 'Don't Cha Wish Your Girlfriend was Hot Like Me' at the Royal Variety.  The best part for me though was a film clip of Josephine Baker from 1974 in blue pantsuit and feathered turban.  She could actually sing well.  Somehow I'd always worried she just got acts because of her past nearly-nude dancing in Paris.  Silly me.  Come to think of it, you could watch her, too, right here.  I can just about die happy now, having seen Josephine Baker.  As soon as Bill goes off to do his last duties this week, I suspect I'm going to borrow his laptop (on which the sound works) and watch all the Josephine videos I can find. And maybe a couple of Wanda Jackson, since she is from my home state.


At midnight the fireworks started and we did the circle thing singing Auld Lang Syne.  [I see I wrote similar stuff this time last year, so how boring is that?]  I went next door and gave Elsie a kiss and then we went back into the house, which I thought looked rather cozy.  To watch more Jools.  What can I say?  It's preferable to 'snogging' (I swear, that word sounds like something disgusting and nasal) or whatever in the toilet.  


So there are some distinct benefits to being older, eh?

1 comment:

Rick Stone said...

Wanda Jackson did indeed grow up in OKC. She went to Capitol Hill High School. Another fact is she was a good friend and dated Elvis Presley. Elvis was instrumental in getting her career going. She still lives here in OKC, with her husband/manager Wendell Goodman, and entertains locally on a regular basis.