Saturday 8 January 2011

Year of Style - January

This is an 'old' book, published back in 2000.  Before you go 'Oh, that's just so Millennium', I'd like to state that I still enjoy this book.  It has pretty pictures and interesting ideas; it's sort of like a big, hard-backed magazine (and you know how I am about those).

For each month the author has a topic (this month is Simplify) and covers an area of advice: hair, make-up, clothing, beauty; but mostly hair - he's a hair stylist after all.  For each day of the month, he makes a sort of lifestyle suggestion.  Some of these are quite fun, but most don't feel like they apply to me:  I'm a tightwad, I'm not a chocoholic, I don't live in France or San Francisco, etc. Still, enough are sufficiently intriguing that I return to the lists again and again. 

I'm so in love with books generally that I have to be careful not to let them completely over run my house.  To help myself keep a rein on it all, I put a slip of paper into each and every one, titled 'Last Read'.  The list for Year of Style reads:  April 06, Jan 07, Jan 08, Oct 09, Jan 11.  That's sufficient evidence for that the book earns its space on our shelves.  

The ideas that I like for January include:
  • Learn to sit properly
  • If you wear a hat, it should match either your coat or your shoes (I would add bag or gloves, or maybe even hair, but what do I know?)
  • Learn your geography.  It's embarrassing not to know where Tibet is located.
As to the verb 'simplify',  I'm not sure it's part of my functional vocabulary yet, but I'm working on it.

What do you match your hat with?

4 comments:

Boywilli said...

Perhaps you could learn about Uzbekistan. We might even go there, Tim seems to like it

Tote said...

I think I might have to check that book out!

Jo said...

Match hat with gloves and scarf, if hat you wear a hat!

BigLittleWolf said...

I'm so in love with books generally that I have to be careful not to let them completely over run my house.

I can SO relate to this! I'm surrounded by books, and I like it that way!