Wednesday 9 January 2019

Five Things: 9 Jan 19

Looking back through old drafts of posts, I see many topics that grabbed my attention, I just didn't manage to write about them. Most are well covered elsewhere.

5 things (because five is my lucky number):

1 Pearlies - An old Threads magazine made mention of the Pearlie Kings and Queens which mystified me. It turns out they are a part of London's history and culture and you can find them (of course) on Wikipedia. This website is a particularly good read, capturing their history and their ethos. I had no idea they were depicted as Mary Poppins' back up band in the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious number. All those dots on the characters' clothing are meant to be buttons.

2 World Travel - Jada Yuan got a travel writing job with the New York Times a year ago - hers one of about 13,000 applications. She has visited and written about 52 locations all over the globe. I'm not that fussed about travel on that scale but I found her article  summarising her experience quite interesting. In particular her biggest take away lesson: "That people are fundamentally good around the world."

3 Under 3 years for 2.6 million - I blogged in the past about a financial advisor whose ethics gave me chills. I later learned he was sentenced to 5 years for fraudulent activity that took place over 7 years and scammed 41 people out of a total of 2.6 million. He led his clients to believe they were investing in a property in India but in fact he was gambling the cash away. He is out now, having served over 2 (which means less than 3) years at Kirklevington Grange, similar to what I remember as 'work release' prisons in the US.

4 AOC video - Not sure I can find the original of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dancing back in her Boston University days, but while the music changes, the video remains the same. It fills me with hope. I can't get over how young and innocent they all look!

5 Archive.org - If you love old books and history (particularly US history) and particularly FREE stuff, let me point you in the direction of the Archive website. I've found genealogical information here, a relatively modern sewing text book and my current favourite: The Book of the Home by H. C. Davidson, published 1900 which outlines the duties of the master and the mistress. 


Tynemouth Priory, just because...
NB: I just realised I put 2018 on my date in the title...tsk tsk.

2 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

WOW, what an interesting post! It is one of the very best I've read anywhere for months. I can't believe I never heard of that internet archive - I've bookmarked it. Thanks so much! The article by the travel writer made me wonder if I'd like to do this myself. I suspect that after a while I would get to quite like it- but find it immensely frustrating to have only a short time in each place. And I am pretty sure I would end up not knowing what to do or what to think, becuase I had such a mish mash of things in my brain. But, as she says, what an amazing opportunity, and she wrote a great piece that kept me reading even though I was late for something!

Shelley said...

Jenny - Thank you for your kind words. The travel job didn't appeal to me in the least; the older I get the more I like my own home best. Hope the Archive proves to be useful to you. It has much more than books, but books are the only part that interests me. It also takes a bit of figuring out, that website, but well worth it.