Wednesday 6 February 2019

Jamieson's of Cullercoats

If I can I try to make my hour-long walks serve a purpose. One day Bill pointed out a van with lettering that announced a fruit and veg shop in Cullercoats, a village that neighbours ours. We'd neither one ever heard of the place. We looked it up and found it on one of our later walks. Bill pointed out that there was free parking in the street just outside. I noticed it was just across from the Cullercoats library and Metro station. I didn't think, though, to find out what hours they kept and never could find this information online.



So another day I walked back, this time on my own. It was one of the autumnal days before the recent cold snap but the wind was brisk enough I took the sheltered route behind the Boating Lake. I snapped a photo of the Clock Tower Cafe and the bowling green at Tynemouth Park. I wanted to remind myself to check out the coffee shop there - and turns out there is also a bar for parents whose kids are playing putt-putt golf or whatever. I tend to avoid child-friendly type places but maybe in the dead of winter it might be safe. I've strolled around the Boating Lake any number of times, but never visited the cafe. I'm compiling of list of cafe's and coffee shops to which I can drag Bill during dry months. 

I took the time to try to 'compose' the photo, lining up with the tree, but it is the many shades of blue in the sky that catch my eye first, reminding me one of the things I like about winter here, seeing everything from pale turquoise to darkest grey in the sky. 

I was amused to find a barber shop called Van Gogh. I found myself being thankful Bill shaves his own head a few times a year. Brits pronounce his name VanGoff, which took me a while to get used to.



I had a good look around Jamieson's and a chat with the man himself behind the counter. I didn't take much note of the fruit and veg prices but saw there were many interesting items along the lines of unusual sauces and products bearing names suggesting local manufacture. It struck me that this would be a great place to come when we next shop for our Christmas hampers. 

Love the location, the produce and the stained glass windows!


As I walked away I realised I was still none the wiser about his hours and he let me take a photo of his poster for my own reference.




Supporting local shops is high on my agenda these days. I hope it is on yours as well.

4 comments:

James said...

Hello Shelley, just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your posts about your walks. Thank you and keep them coming! James (Man of the 50s)

Shelley said...

Hi James (I knew exactly who you are)

Lovely to hear from you. So pleased you like the walking posts. Busy doing US taxes at the moment (UK taxes are done) and so no brain space left for anything more...taxing. Sorry, it just leaked out.

David Jamieson said...

Hi Shelley
I’ve just read your blog about my shop Jamiesons of Cullercoats. Thank you so much for the kind words and a lovely picture of the shop front.
I do class myself as a Greengrocer first but as you’ve seen I also stock a lot of local producers products. And also many quality items from further afield. I do remember you calling in and it was lovely to meet you. Take care and I’ll be reading your blogs more often.

PS. Last weekend on our little shopping parade, a new shop opened. Joanne Wishart Art studio and shop. Next time you’re around pop in to see her. Fantastic shop run by a lovely woman

Once again Thank You Shelley ��

Dave Jamieson

Shelley said...

Hello, David!

Glad you liked the post. And thanks so much for the tip about Joanne Wishart Art studio! I've got a book reserved at Cullercoats library and I purposely didn't have it shipped closer to me so I would have a reason to walk to Cullercoats again, so I'll be up there again soon!