Wednesday 29 April 2020

Collecting Rainbows



I was glad I had my camera when I saw these daffodils.
I would have kicked myself otherwise. They are fading fast.


One of the biggest habit changes I've had to make with starting to blog again is to remember to carry my camera around. On our front door a post-it note faces outwards to remind us to 'Wash Your Hands!' while another faces inwards so that before I go out I'll remember to get my 'camera'.




This is a weird picture, I know. The rainbow is made of a bunch of dots, 
which was different. And I loved the flowers in the window. But then glass
makes life awkward at times and that darn shadow
on my camera lens - it comes and goes.


Bill is still running and we both go for walks several times a week. One day on my normal route around the park, the riverside and the seafront I counted 91 people with whom I needed to negotiate space, doing that little dance we all do these days if we are sane and sensible. After that Bill and I started finding other places to walk. Beautiful as the sea is, it's not worth dying to see. 



Then we started walking after a slightly earlier dinner and there were a lot fewer people around. 



When all this started it seems the kids staying at home were encouraged to paint rainbows to put in the windows. As I originally understood it this was about giving older people something to count / collect as it were. Then it changed into being about the NHS workers, then other essential workers like in the food sector. Later people began putting stuffed bears and other animals in their windows, I gather for children to count / visually collect.

At least that's how I understand it. In the first week or two of March we weren't watching BBC news and so other people seemed to have information we didn't about how things were developing, in spite of reading newspapers online every day. We've gone back to not watching the news as it is just a bunch of numbers we can't do anything about other that what we are already doing. 



Do they do rainbows in the States I wonder?

No comments: