Wednesday 7 March 2012

Further Adventures in Whitley Bay

This is the continuation of a guided walk Vivien and I took recently.  Following the instructions along Esplanade to the seaside, we admired the many attractive looking guesthouses and I noticed this unusually named house.

Thanks to the internet, I could tell you the names of some of the previous tenants, about their hobbies, businesses and bankruptcies.  I could also tell you the purchase price paid in 2000, but I can't find any explanation for this house name.   Of course I look at that name and think 'Kruschef', but this is spelled differently.  Must remember to ask Russian friends about this one day...

Whitley Bay sea front is a curious mix of large Victorian houses, hotels, pubs, boarded up buildings, nightclubs and long-fallen demolition sites.  Vivien and I hoped that this enormous building was being developed into flats rather than yet another incarnation as a nightclub. 





I'm at a loss to explain how prime seafront property can be left languishing year after year.



I tend, rightly or not, to blame the local authority politicians, too busy fighting for their own political gain than to look after the well being of the communities under their jurisdiction.
I don't know what the answer is, but Whitley Bay is in desperate need of one.
We were next instructed to admire the very grand Rex Hotel.  In the past it has hosted such legends as Gerry Rafferty, Billy Connolly, Ralph McTell and Lindisfarne (The last, according Bill, "World Famous Around These Parts").  In looking them up I think perhaps they are listed in that order for a reason...


The Rex Hotel, more attractive from the other direction.
We were then directed to take note of Grant's Clock, unveiled in 1933 as a 'little sister of St. Mary's Lighthouse'.  

Grant's Clock (Who was Grant?)

You know, St. Mary's lighthouse, just over there...

View of St. Mary's Lighthouse


Well, good job I can zoom in on it. 




You've seen this before in any case, a couple of summers ago, along with the wonderful, very practical, Sandcastles art installation.  You'll have to go to the link to see the outside, this time around - my first walking tour - I dived in and sat down out of the incessant wind.   Vivien and I were both grateful for digital technology as the wind made it a real challenge to keep the camera steady enough for a clear photo



To be continued...

2 comments:

Beryl said...

Loving the pictures. Had no idea it was so windy - and being from Oklahoma, you would know wind! The Hotel looks quite grand. So this is (was) a resort hotel? Is the clock still giving the correct time?

Jenny Woolf said...

This is interesting. I'm researching ancestors from Whitley Bay. So many places are utterly neglected, I also blame politicians and their policy decisions from far away.