Sunday 5 December 2010

Not So Christmas Fayre

We went to the Christmas Market at the Metro station yesterday, and of course I forgot to take my camera (I make and break habits more frequently than anyone I know).  It was strangely dark in spite of having the overhead lights on.  I worked out it was because the glass ceiling was covered with snow that shut out the daylight.  This created an interesting cave-like atmosphere.  

Mind, I'd say only about a third of the tables were at all Christmas-y.  There were a few sellers we'd not seen before and quite a few empty tables, probably because of the weather.  I went with French food in mind, on Bill's Christmas wishlist, but no Frenchmen were to be found.  Instead, we spotted wreaths.  For years I've wanted a wreath for the front door, and half intended to make one, but never got aroundtuit.  So when we saw these for a very reasonable price, re-useable year after year, I pounced.


Also, having been inspired by Madame's table (click on the picture for a better view) and thinking we might drink more water if it were presented more elegantly, we looked for crystal decanters.  There were dozens to be had, from £4 to £15.  Bill selected this one 



and we filled our largest gold-fish bowl wine glasses, a recent gift, with water from our new decanter at dinner last night.  (No, this isn't a linen and lace tablecloth, it's the tie-dye tablecloth bought under duress from large, smiling African women in The Gambia, but that's another post).

1 comment:

The Dreamstress said...

I love the decanter. We inherited a couple from Nana that Mr D is hugely attached to - using them for water is an excellent idea.