Friday 2 April 2010

Let's Have a Drink & Go to Bed

but Not Together....

(Sorry, the order of my photos, along with my habit of playing with post titles - I couldn't resist).

If you're just joining us, we are taking a tour of the Royal Yacht Britannia. Bill pointed out that my post yesterday was a bit confusing, as it provided no context. Serves you right for not keeping up, I said, but have relented here, with an explanation...

This is the drinks room, decorated to the Queen and Prince Philip's tastes. It probably has another name, I just don't remember it.


The bamboo furniture comes from somewhere exotic, I don't remember where. (I'm doing great, here, aren't I?)


The ship is make of teak. I told Sarah it was some of the most expensive, but I was mistaken. Apparently that would be ebony.


I was curious to see what the drinks cabinet held. I spotted Gordon's, Dubonnet and Lea and Perrins. (Would you believe you have to give your date of birth to enter those websites - not the Worchestershire sauce one - like minors can't do math? Then again...) I've no idea what the champagne was, but I suppose that if one wished to know what brands Liz and Phil prefers, one would consult the list of Royal Warrants - which is a hoot.

Then we came to the Queen's bedroom.


I was almost sort of scared to look in, just in case she was in there!


This picture of the silk embroidery above her bed in no way does it justice. There were items in the gift shop that were made with a similar print, which was tempting, but what I really wanted - and they didn't have - was the embroidery pattern. It was good enough to have got out my embroidery hoops again.


Here we have Prince Philip's bedroom,


linked to the Queen's. Have you noticed that those are single beds? And how tiny is his closet? I kept wondering if the real rooms were somewhere else and these were just modest rooms for show.


Mind, when Charles and Diana had their honeymoon on board, Charles wasn't having any of that nonsense: he had the first -- and perhaps only, I don't remember -- double bed put into the honeymoon suite.


A double bed. You know what this means, don't you?

The names QUEEN-SIZED and KING-SIZED beds are no such thing - just selling gimmicks or something. It also explains why you don't see many fat Royals these days...they wouldn't fit in their skinny little beds!



2 comments:

Artist said...

Great photos. I am always impressed how much colors can change the mood of a room. As being a synesthesian artist I live a life in colors. Synesthesia means that I see colors when I see words and numbers.I transform this in paintings of names and birthdays.

Pauline Wiles said...

From what I've heard about Lizzie and Phil, those are their real bedrooms... she seems to have extremely frugal tastes.
I must confess, if I were queen, I'd splurge a bit for a more upmarket look in my bedroom!