Saturday 2 March 2019

Alnmouth - Part II



So, we went for a walk on the beach. I was surprised at the view at the bottom of the street. I guess I just hadn't looked in that direction.





There were a number of interesting things to look at on our walk. For one I saw the other side of some of the houses I'd been admiring. It seemed we actually came out on the River Aln estuary at low tide. Then we turned and walked north along the sea front. This was familiar territory owing to a number of days out either having done or not done the Coastal race. (I recommend not unless you are extremely fit, and maybe not even then). 


I don't think I'd ever wandered south to the river, being keen to get changed, fed and head to the pub. Bill teased me it was the first time I'd seen Alnmouth village sober but to be fair there really wasn't anything else to do, everything being closed on Sunday the day of the race. And we always took the bus so you had to stick with the crowd so as not to miss the bus back home. That's my side of the story anyhow. 


Pardon me while I reminisce...


I still remember I'd only been in the running club a few days (this is 22 years ago) when I was offered this day out. I rode up to Beadnall on the bus sitting next to a woman who never stopped talking the whole way. It certainly passed the time, listening to her. Noreen has written plays since that day that are performed in theatres all around this area. I wouldn't have predicted that at the time, but I did appreciate her friendliness. I only had the barest of acquaintance with a few of the people on that bus. The whole 'friendliness' thing is one of the ways in which I tend to compare Newcastle with Oklahoma: coal mining history, folks pass through on their way to somewhere else, people are really friendly.




A nice young guy spent time walking on the beach with me, Dave, who happened to work in the lab next to my office, as we waited for the runners to finish so we could get on with the social part. He was injured and so not running. Bill and I eventually went to Dave's wedding and helped him move into their new house. He gave us a wardrobe he no longer wanted, which is still in use today. Dave and Ruth's kids are teenagers now and he still runs.




Anyhow, on this day in February of this year I saw a large cross on a hill across the river. I had no idea what it was, nor did Bill. Turns out it is St. Cuthbert's cross (a replica, not the original) and this is said to be the location where Cuthbert agreed to become Bishop of Lindisfarne when petitioned by the king, that would have been Edwin of Northumbria. Note to self: must go back to Holy Island one day...it's only about 1 1/2 hours away after all.




Now, I must admit that I'd never heard of Cuthbert or Lindisfarne before I came to live in the North of England, but I had heard of the Book of Kells. If you've never heard of Lindisfarne but you have heard of the Book of Kells, then I would invite you take a moment to enjoy the Lindisfarne Gospels. These books are old. I've been fortunate enough to see the Book of Kells in Dublin at Trinity College - it is gorgeous. I read that the Gospels are at the British Library in London. I think I'd rather go up to Holy Island, actually.


Annoying spot on my camera lens, only comes up now and then. V. annoying that.


What else did I see? That upstairs conservatory that I admired from our window was pretty funny from the other direction. It would appear that it directly overlooks the chimney of the house just behind. Such is life at the sea front, I suppose.


I really do love moss. If you'd grown up in a place where everything goes brown and crackly in summertime you'd understand why.


We had a spectacular day for beach walking. I found quite a bit of large lumps of sea coal. I just finished one in the series of Shipyard Girls novels (which I recommend) and one of the characters talks about collecting sea coal as a child. It is a poorer quality, being soaked with sea water, and I gather it 'spits' a lot.

Then we turned off the beach and walked into the village, which had some things open for a change! One of the big houses on front street had an interesting collection in their front garden. I still haven't figured out what all that stuff is, never mind why.





I had seen the church steeple from our window and wondered about what looked like pigeon holes on it. I asked Bill and he said it was actually to allow people to hear the bells chiming. Well, of course.




We stopped by the house to pick up some food for the bairn (well, he's Scottish even if I'm not) before going to the Tea Cozy Cafe. While we were waiting, I took a photo of some moss on the wall (see above). 


There was something rather perfect in their presentation.

In spite of the rather twee name the food was quite good (I had a salad with too much goat's cheese; I didn't know that was possible) and Bill let me have a bit of his dessert. He used to hate sharing at all and I must say his training is coming along nicely. I only ever want a bite of anything sweet.





After this we went back to the house, packed up and came home. I had an important event to get ready for!

No comments: