Thursday 17 January 2019

Post-Christmas Post

I think Bill's kids might 'getting' my Christmas tree.  Years ago Sarah brought back a large, heavy bauble of cracked glass from a school trip she took to Victoria, Canada. 

This year Simon made these wooden and glitter shapes himself. I wasn't altogether certain at the time what all the shapes were but now I've taken down the tree and put them together for their photo, I figured out most of them. I think they are quite pretty. I wrote his initials and '2018' on each one so that in future they will 'know their place' in the tree's history. I may replace the threads with some sturdier string or ribbon to keep them from getting tangled on the tree.


Holly, robin, fox, reindeer, Christmas bow/bauble and a ?
Six-year-old Charlotte gave me my present from her, explaining she had 'made it especially' for me. Helen confirmed this, saying they'd had to stay up the night before so she could finish it in time. I thanked Charlotte profusely but I must have had a perplexed expression. Helen suggested I could use it perhaps as a coaster, but I had another idea. I pulled an icicle thread off the three, laced it through the holes and hung it on the tree. Martin apparently was moved by this, saying it was awfully thoughtful of me. 



When I took the tree down the icicle snapped, no great surprise. I threaded a red ribbon in its place after testing that I could write on the ribbon: Charlotte 2018. 

My tree feels even more 'complete' to me now and I know I will enjoy putting on those decorations next Christmas.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been giving some thought to what the mystery tree decoration might be. I assume that the robin is below the reindeer on your photo and that it is the identity of the decoration below the holly that is the mystery. It looks to me like a whale/dolphin/seal or similar swimming in the Red Sea. Perhaps Simon could solve the mystery?

Shelley said...

Vivien - Hilarious that you should give this any notice. I was thinking the creature with the fan tail was a bird and the one in the lower right corner a dolphin, but I thought dolphins normally had a fin... perhaps that is a stylised version with the extra bump near the tail as the fin and the two bits below as the flippers? I shall ask Simon (he already thinks I'm crazy, so what would it matter?).

Shelley said...

Simon Says (sorry, couldn't resist) they are both robins!

Unknown said...

I guess that we were both equally right and equally wrong!