Thursday 2 October 2014

Confessions

Right, it's time to come clean. I've actually been absent from home for the past month, traveling in the U.S. As much as I know the U.S. readers like to know about life in Britain, I'm afraid I'm going to have to journal our experiences of this trip. 

We began on the 2nd of September by leaving home and staying at a hotel near the airport to make a 6 AM flight / 4 AM check-in. That was probably the best hotel we had the whole trip, with a lovely bed, being pitch black at night and silent, in spite of the overhead flights. Perhaps the wine we had with dinner helped out a bit.

My large suitcase was only half full at the start, though I was to learn that weight, not size, was the critical issue for airlines and trains alike. Confusingly, different weights mattered for each, as did number of bags by various airlines. Each jump to a new place was a bit fraught. 

We flew from Newcastle-upon-Tyne to Dallas, picked up a car and drove four hours to our first destination: McAlester, OK. You might think it crazy to fly several thousand miles to look up dead people, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I've also had the pleasure of sharing my findings with family all over the world these past couple of days - practically my first priority after unpacking.




U.M.W.A. - United Mine Workers of America

Don't worry, I won't bore you with endless family history stories, at least not many! Besides writing posts, there is updating my family tree and my UK tax return is due the end of October. Also catching up with laundry, Who Do You Think You Are?...and with Downton Abbey! 




No comments: