Monday 30 June 2014

Joanne's Pineapple (or Chocolate) Pie

Today my friend Joanne would have been 70. She passed away three years ago just after beginning treatment for breast cancer. Her mother had survived breast cancer and I think she expected she would, too.  Her sudden death was a surprise to us all. I still think of her often.



Flowers in a window. Dyrham Park, South Gloucestershire













Back in 2009 she sent me several pie recipes. I published her strawberry recipe last year. Here is her Pineapple Pie recipe.

Pineapple Pie

8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
8 oz. sour cream
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
8 oz. crushed pineapple, drained
Reserve 1 tablespoon pineapple
1 small container of Cool Whip
Graham cracker crust pie shell

Mix all together. Place in pie shell. Refrigerate overnight. (Can freeze for use later).  Variations: Eliminate pineapple. Put mixture in chocolate crust. Add mini-chocolate chips and sprinkles.

I'm not sure what you are supposed to do with the tablespoon of pineapple but I'd guess it was to garnish the top of the Cool Whip.  It might be good to give people a bit of a warning that they're about to taste pineapple!


3 comments:

sanda said...

Sad about your friend and I know you miss her. Nice you're sharing her recipes. I don't believe I've ever had pineapple pie, but this sounds good. We used to eat pineapple sandwiches when I was a kid. Have you heard of or every tried that?

Shelley said...

Hi Sanda - Pineapple sandwiches?! Nope, never had one of those. What do you put on them? The most 'exotic' thing I've had with pineapple is old hat now: ham and pineapple pizza.

sanda said...

Shelly, we took white bread, spread mayo on both sides, and plopped a slice of pineapple down. That was it. Odd, but actually pretty good. Haven't had one in years. My daddy sure loved them!