Saturday 17 May 2014

The Disinherited Son

The son that was effectively disinherited by the donation of Wallington Hall to the National Trust, George L. Trevelyan, sounds like an early day hippie to me (he's even got long hair).  He imagined his family was descended from a knight of King Arthur's round table; granted, Sir Trevillian sounds like Trevelyan.  He is called a founding father of the New Age philosophy, you know metaphysics, spritualism and self-help psychology stuff. 






Sir George Trevelyan.jpg




I guess when your worldly goods have been given away before they become legally yours, it's just as well to get a more spiritual outlook on life.

In addition to being one of the first trained teachers of the Alexander Technique, he was associated with the Findhorn Foundation near Moray, Scotland, a large 'intentional community' (commune). I've never visited an 'ecovillage' but it sounds interesting. 

In addition to all the spiritual and educational ideas, Trevelyan was involved with another activity, a tradition begun by his uncle, my favourite George M. Trevelyan. I'll tell you about that in my next post.

No comments: