Wednesday 22 August 2012

La Cabine

OK.  Let's talk about France.  Beryl asked how we got across to the Continent. 



Source:  DFDS

We live within a couple of miles from the ferry crossing between Newcastle (actually at North Shields) and Amsterdam (actually at IJmuiden).



I've written about this before.  As last time Bill was rather seasick, we splashed out (sorry) on an outside cabin with a window, in hopes that it might help a bit.  It may have. 



Then again, perhaps bringing our own room picnic instead of eating at the buffet - and trying to get our money's worth - may also have played a part in the happier morning.




We learned a lot from our previous experience and the roads out of Amsterdam seemed far less intimidating as we headed for Chalons-en-Champagne (click on link for map).

4 comments:

Rick Stone said...

How long is the voyage? Is it necessary to have a cabin or is the voyage too long not to have one? Does the RV go down into the ships "hold"? Just an old sailor being curious.

Shelley said...

Rick - The ship leaves North Shields about 5.30pm - we hear the horn every day at our house about that time. It docks about 9.30-10 am at Amsterdam. The website says it's about 16.5 hour voyage. Yep, we drive into the hold as directed, along with more heavy goods vehicles than I can imagine could possibly float. Some folks do sit up all night or sleep on armchairs in the hallways, but I'm too old for that now. I like a good sleep before tackling a foreign country!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering the same thing as Rick--how long this passage takes in order to warrant a cabin of one's own.

Anonymous said...

Shelley - oh I'm not going to that one, I would never post my whereabouts on the net, it's another family house we have on a private island, ( as the girl, I have inherited none of them, grr) I haven't been for yonks, but needs must, I need to stop living online.
Oh you're very handy for the ferry, don't you love being able to bypass airports?