Wednesday 6 June 2012

Manchester Unity

I did say that this building deserved its own post, so here it is.  I simply thought it was an astonishingly beautiful building.

This is called the 'neo gothic' style of architecture.


According to Wikipedia, it was built in 1932 in eight-hour shifts around the clock and was the first time in Australia a production schedule was used to construct a building.


Going inside felt a bit like stepping back in time, with art deco features everywhere.  The building houses offices and cafes.



Nothing that spectacular, just lovely design.




People in the building seemed quite used to having photographs taken.  It must be a daily occurrence.




I was reminded of all the time we spent in Chicago looking up, with me trying to remember to close my mouth.


The tiles on the centre floor of the ground level spell out "amicitia amor et veritas"



which means "friendship, love and truth".  I initially thought that 'Manchester Unity' referred to an insurance company, or perhaps a labour union.    



Turns out that it refers to the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows, which has a very interesting history.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE! Gorgeous building and I am a big fan of Art Deco. I have just started watching the old 80s, Poirot series on Netflix--and of course the setting is the 1930s. The sets and costumes are wonderful!