Monday 15 August 2011

Mom in the Navy

Once again, it's my Mom's birthday.  I am almost more surprised at how quickly these anniversaries come up than I am about my own rapidly increasing age.  You know what they say about having fun and time... 



Mom wasn't in the Navy (but her favourite aunt, Margaret, was).  Rather, I think Mom is wearing this because her first husband was in the Navy, as was her step-father.  That would put this photo at about 1937-8, when she was 19-20 years old. 

I always wished I'd inherited her dimple.



7 comments:

Rick Stone said...

Pretty lady.

Anonymous said...

What a stunner your mother was. My mother too had the sailor dresses,Dad being in the Navy, as a matter of fact we had them too when little girls.Guess even today the military look still comes & goes with fashion trends.
Always love reading your posts on the family.
Love,
Sharon

Shelley said...

Thank you. I always thought Mom was beautiful. I keep hoping that one day I'll look in the mirror and see her, but no such luck so far!

Jg. for FatScribe said...

gorgeous ... love a woman in uniform! plus, i love those sepia memories to-boot. thx for sharing, ms. shelley.

Shelley said...

Thanks Jg! Love that phrase 'sepia memories'!

Sandra said...

Shelley, your mother was beautiful, I love seeing her pictures. I wonder why she and my mother never met...guess it was just too far from Oklahoma to Texas in those days. I regret that I only learned of your family via our finding one another. Many years passed and we missed opportunities to know other family members. Guess it is up to us now, dear Cousin of mine, to stay connected.

Shelley said...

Sandra - Mom didn't stay in touch with any of her father's family, not even the ones right in Tulsa, so I'm not surprised she didn't know your Mom! We know one another now, and that's more than good, I'm thinking! XXX