Saturday 25 June 2011

Coincidences

I seem to stumble on to ideas over and over these days.  I don’t know if it is because I’m paying more attention to the details or if it’s just the way of things and I make too much of it.  I’d add that the media are awash with the latest trends, but these aren’t current thoughts at all.  


For example, I was reading a Dick Francis book, Slayride, in which one of the characters was reading The Golden Notebook.  I’d never heard of the latter, but then ran across the name again when reading about Maya Angelou.  It’s a book by Doris Lessing and I’ve added it to my library reading list.

Frugal Scholar quoted Shakespeare one day, using the phrase ‘Sweet and 20’, which I realised was the title of one of my inter-war books I’ve yet to find. 

I picked up a Readers Digest to read one book, and discovered a new author from this very area where I live.

At the Sewing Group, one of the Joan’s had been away to Tenerife and brought back coconut macaroons.  These reminded Brenda of a recipe she’d heard about whilst visiting Canada last year, Impossible Pie.  I picked up one of Bill’s Phryne books, Dead Man's Chest, and it gave the recipe for the very same Impossible Pie.

Since you’ve been so good as to read this far, I’ll share that recipe with you:




Impossible Pie

1/2 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
4 eggs
vanilla
125 g butter, melted
1/2 cup flaked almonds
1 cup milk

Grease a deep pie dish and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.  Put all ingredients except half the almonds and the milk into a bowl and mix well.  Then add the milk slowly and beat until you get a cake batter.  Pour into the pie dish, top with remaining almonds, bake for about 35 minutes.  It transforms itself into a spongy layered coconut cake which Ms Greenwood recommends be served with stewed fruit and cream.  


1 comment:

Jo said...

I had heard of Impossible Pie, but don't think that is the same recipe. This one made a crust with what was put in instead of flour. Will look around and see what I come up with.