Tuesday 20 July 2010

Bernard's Birthday

Today would have been my Uncle Bernard's...90th birthday.  Hard to imagine, really.  I can't recall that he was especially fond of any particular kind of food, so I plan to practice the tap dance he taught me...46 years ago.  Yep, I still remember it.  

It was an incredibly complicated routine to a piece of Latin music.  We practiced at Grandmother's house almost every day in the beauty shop when there were no customers scheduled.  I like to think I'm a fairly patient person, but both Bernard and my Mom had almost infinite patience (whereas their mother had almost none to speak of).  I wonder if that sort of thing can be genetic?

The kitchen floor is the best place to tap in this house but perhaps I'd best keep the curtains shut until I'm finished.  That said, I've often done a little time step waiting for the kettle to boil.  It's just one of those things dancers do.  In fact, did you ever see The Full Monty?  Remember the part where they were standing in the queue for the dole (in line for their unemployment checks)? 

If you've not seen this movie, you need to.  However, if you aren't from the North of England, put the sub-titles on...

No comments: