Thursday 3 December 2009

December Foods

apples (year round, best in Oct Nov & Dec)
artichokes, Jerusalem
bananas (year round)
beetroot (year round, best Sep Oct Nov)
broccoli
Brussels sprouts
cabbage (year round, best Dec Jan Feb)
red cabbage
carrots (year round, best Apr May Jun)

celeriac -- Very peculiar looking; not my favourite, but glad I've tried it

celery
cranberries
endive (year round)
grapefruit (year round)
grapes (year round)
horseradish
leeks
lettuce (year round, best Jun Jul Aug)
mushrooms (year round)
onions (year round)
oranges (year round)
parsnips
pears
pineapples (year round)

pomegranates - One of the superfoods; I'm no good at eating them, however. I just settle for buying pomegranate juice.

potatoes (year round; New in May)
pumpkin
savoys (B)
seakale
swede
tomatoes (year round)
turnips (year round; best Jun Jul)

goose - Does this taste any different to duck? I've never eaten goose that I recall. Only foie gras, which is difficult to admit when one learns how it is produced. Along those lines I have generally avoided ordering veal since I met my first brown eyed calf.

turkey - We have enough leftovers for next year as usual; in fact, were it not for a traditional British Christmas lunch to be served, we could avoid the supermarket for several months, I think.

wild duck - Not sure if the duck I ate was wild or farmed; do they taste different?

bream (year round)
brill (year round)
cockles (year round)
cod
eel
haddock
halibut (year round)
mussels (year round, best Dec Jan Feb)
oysters
plaice (year round)
prawns (year round)
red mullet (year round, best Jun Jul Aug)
scallops
seabass
shrimps (year round)
skate
smelts
sole (year round)
sprat
turbot (year round)
whiting (year round)

No comments: