Sunday 2 November 2008

Not for Popeye

I reported sometime back that my spinach was doing fine. I spoke too soon. In fact, I've never seen anything so thoroughly chewed in all my life. I got so disgusted I chopped it all down (but didn't pull it up) and with the cooler, slightly dryer weather the snails seem to be dying off (with some help from blue snail pellets) and the spinach is making a slight return.

In the meantime, I wasn't so certain about the future of salads for lunch over the winter. It wouldn't be a major crisis as I do generally switch over to soup when it is chilly, but just to see what would happen, I put some seeds into little yogurt pots and stuck them in the kitchen window. In about 2 weeks this is what happened:


So, I'm thinking my salad garden may just live on in the kitchen window, hmmmm?

So far, the peppers seem to be thriving in the (new) front porch, which gets reasonably warm with the western sun,

but I'm not sure how long this will last.

They are big enough to eat, but it would be nice if they would turn red...



And this thing is deliriously happy again. I can't resist sharing the bright colour!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just got some green peppers from my brother-in-laws garden and stuffed and froze them. Looks like you will be at that point soon.

Joanne